After seeing one of my Felt Birdies, I was asked to make a felt butterfly for a girls bedroom. As I made a start I decided to make a photo record of my progress and perhaps make a tutorial... So here goes.This is the finished item, although I was losing daylight when I took this photo, so its not the best...
Butterfly template. (Find a shape you like on the internet and trace it)
Felt in co-ordinating colours,
Embroidery thread again in co-ordinating colours. I split mine into 3 strands.
Felt shapes to embelished, I used shapes from a pack bought in Tesco, but you could cut out your own.
Seed and Bugle beads to decorate.
Stuffing. (Hollowfibre or toy stuffing is fine).
Ribbon to hang
Pins and Needle and Sewing Thread
3. Sew the felt shapes on in a symetrical design using a small running stitch. Cut a long piece of felt for the butterfly body, shaping as desired (rounding the ends etc.,) and sew using blanket stitch in the middle of the butterfly.
6. Pin the two pieces together and sew through them around the butterfly body, taking care not to let the stitches show on the front.
7. Starting at the bottom middle, using a blanket stitch, start to sew through the two layers of felt, around one of the wings.
8. When you reach the top of the wing, attach the ribbon by incorporating it between the felt layers with the blanket stitch.
9. Stuff the wing lightly before completely sewing the wing shut. Repeat steps 7 and 8 for the other wing.